1. Bamboo Series

Join to the community in order to comment, like, post images, videos and create threads.

:)

Snake 'Rattle' and Roll

Discussion in 'Bamboo GT' started by TiMtImInYtImTiM, Oct 6, 2016.

More threads by TiMtImInYtImTiM
  1. OP
    TiMtImInYtImTiM

TiMtImInYtImTiM Member

I agree that the noise goes away on AT wheels. However when skating around town the Street set up is far superior and I much prefer it. The rattle does definitely seem like it is coming from the motors so the casing could well be the cause. I think being higher off the ground and on rubber tyres takes the vibration away which is why is not audible on AT set up. Interested to find out how we can stop the vibration of the metal motor casing when on street set up.

2. usfdrohead

usfdrohead Member

For me the rattle was the chrome GT logo in the back. It was loose so it was vibrating against the metal plate.check your logo. Put a lot of tape over it. Then slowly peel it up. See if the logo comes up with it.the noise was only there when I was on street wheels.

3. OP
    TiMtImInYtImTiM

TiMtImInYtImTiM Member

Thanks I will check this out

4. usfdrohead

usfdrohead Member

Also, the best way to test it is to just put your finger on the logo while you are riding, or your foot. If the noise stops you know it's the logo.

5. Member227

Member227 Guest

I also changed the bearings of the motors now the rattling is gone:) Thanks Scott!!.

Don't put in ceramic bearing they aren't that great with shock tensions. I used closed bearings with grease also when the lubrication of the bearing is thicker its harder for dirt to get in.
    I honestly don't know why they use bearing with sewing machine type of lubrication. These are more for inside on very smooth clean surfaces.

• Like Like x 3
  6. paulfulwood

paulfulwood Member

Is it as simple as undoing the circlip and pulling out? So std skate bearing?

7. Member227

Member227 Guest

ScottM made a guide : Changing motor bearings

What do you mean by std skate bearing?

8. paulfulwood

paulfulwood Member

Thanks. Standard skateboard wheel bearing.

9. Member227

Member227 Guest

Yes they are the same size.

10. OP
    TiMtImInYtImTiM

TiMtImInYtImTiM Member

So are we in agreement that the rattling noise is caused by the motor bearings?

11. Alex

Alex Admin

For me it was the grey thing in my skull rattling about. Not much I can do about that :(

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. danBGT

danBGT Member

Hey All,

I'm having the same issue described by a few of you. I only picked up my board 4 days ago. Have any of you tried returning it for repair?

13. Alex

Alex Admin

Welcome to the site Daniel! Have you read through the thread to check out some of the potential fixes suggested danBGT

For some it was as simple as the GT logo rattling, for others a bearing replacement helped rectify it. Might be worth doing a little bit of troubleshooting to see if you can diagnose it before going through the hassle of shipping it back.

14. danBGT

danBGT Member

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the welcome:) I've checked the logo and switched to the AT wheels and the rattle has stopped. It appears to (possibly) be a bearing issue with the motor, which is only caused by the stiffer wheel combo. Short of that, I wonder if it's the gear-cog contact point up against the wheels. It's a little frustrating.

15. AzzDav

AzzDav Member

Its all about resistance, thin oil goes faster. As for the motor bearing It is harder to remove and clean so maybe some resistance is ok there to increase its life

16. mrbooon

mrbooon Member

I have the same issue. I'm a little afraid to take the motors apart. It does sound like the rattle is coming from there.

Kinda pissed this happened already after a few days of owning the board.

17. GivesAMinute

GivesAMinute Member

I just received my GT Bamboo back from Evolve HQ for a different issue (one motor randomly stopping) and they fixed it plus the rattle is now gone, so I'm thinking it definitely is a motor issue? Here's my vlog explaining and testing my returned board:

• Like Like x 1
  18. wiztecy

wiztecy Member

You should be pissed!!! And you paid how much for this again?

Same issue with my board, rattles like a bunch of Mexican jumping beans bouncing around in a glass bottle when ever I ride on anything rough. Evolve knows about all these issues, they could make the board feel like a $2k board but they don't. I picked up full ceramic bearings for my motors, will be dropping those in when I get a chance and well as other mods to get around the QA looseness of Evolve.

19. GivesAMinute

GivesAMinute Member

And don't expect much communication from Evolve - they are notorious at poor customer relations.

20. wiztecy

wiztecy Member

Yes it can be a crap-shoot with them. They were pretty good with me until I just got frustrated with my CGT and getting hurt from it, one thing after another. I asked for a fully known functioning board or my money back since it sounds like a good percentage of people have working boards that are not acting up and being dangerous. Then all went cold. No response.

I'm going to try and hit them up again since a person indicated you can send the remote in to have the gain turned up. They replaced my bad motor controller and feel my issue is just limited to RF random interference in my area. Plus the fact that they shielded the antenna with carbon fiber at the board. Before I start modifying things I'd like them to fix it. And not only that fix boards out in the wild with the issue as well as ones that are currently being sent out and in the future.

I like the board allot, its fun, fast and versatile. The range on the CGT is acceptable for what it is, but wish they didn't monitor just the raw battery voltage to determine the battery level. Just wish it was safe for everyone by kicking up their QA a few notches. Really unacceptable for customers to receive boards that are defective upon delivery or after 1-2 weeks into owning them. Anything surrounding a rider and the ability to properly control the board should be taken as a serious must fix critical issue, its like selling software where the user looses all their data due to a bug and lack of proper testing in your system software QA process.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017