Join to the community in order to comment, like, post images, videos and create threads.

:)

right to repair and spare parts -- r2 remote LCD screen

Discussion in 'Carbon GTR' started by smashedlcd, Jul 18, 2021.

1. smashedlcd

smashedlcd Member

Evolve wont supply their LCD screens. they requrie that you let them repair it.
    Its a long way to go to give them a remote to let them install a plug in display, and as a qualified electronics techinician im actually overskilled for the job of plugging a ribon cable into a pcb connector - but after discussion with them, repeated discussion, they simply wont sell me a lcd, because "concerns with safety"

obviously anyone riding one of these things knows they accept no liablilty regardless so the position is clearly a load of crap, but given the recent progress with right to repair, and especially given the DIY community nature of eboarders, it certainly seems a but crappy of them, especially considering how much money we pay for their gear.

I have a gt carbon, and a gtr carbon, my lcd literally cracked internally with no discernable cause, i ignored the fact it was cracked for a while and then did actualy drop the remote one time and deicded to try to fix it.

ive been looking on bangood.com and alibaba for an equivalent display, if anyone has any information about the pinouts or the actual display these things use id be really greatful.

after the experience ive had with them im honestly tempted to buy a few hundred of them and sell them at cost just to spite evolve and their archaic attutide.

anyway, hope you liked my winge thread, and any info anyone has much appreciated :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. OP
    smashedlcd

smashedlcd Member

well looks like if they sell them in the usa they are giong to have to let us repair. :)
    right to repair won!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Flying Piston

Flying Piston Member

So with that being said when will evolve sell us the LCD so we can replace them ourselves?

4. pierrep

pierrep Member

Go there (15 euros + shipping)...

5. Calibanos

Calibanos Member

No they won't or at least don't yet in the US. Had a repair done just a few months ago so if it is coming, have not seen it yet. You have to send it in for them to repair it. Although I think they should sell us the part I can almost understand why. My screen broke because I tried to fix other issues myself. I consider myself a handy person but the screen was SUPER thin. The thinnest I have ever seen. It can handle nearly NO flex. I think Evolve knows that do it yourselfers have a high chance of breaking the screen or causing another remote issue themself and forcing users to send it in is better insurance than allowing DIY. Calculated business risk.

With that said, the R2 is crap. Not engineered for resilience and the thinness of the screen is a sign of cheapness IMO. Evolve needs to make an R2 replacement that is compatible with Gen 1 and 2 GT/GTX boards because the R2 is constantly out of stock and the build sucks to boot.

I think they will simply discontinue R2 support and parts before they have to stock for right to repair capability.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2022
  6. harrisblair

harrisblair Member

7. harrisblair

harrisblair Member

HI, so have anyone managed to cross reference one? I see lots of similar ones on Ali express for cheap.