Join to the community in order to comment, like, post images, videos and create threads.

:)

Poll: June 2017 Remote Firmware update

Discussion in 'Evolve Skateboards' started by mestevie, Jun 20, 2017.

?

How has the June 2017 firmware gone for you?

Poll closed Sep 20, 2017.
  1. Working as designed

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Not working as designed

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. It has caused new issues

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  4. I have decided not to update my remote

6 vote(s)
    42.9%
More threads by mestevie
  1. mestevie

mestevie Member

Firmware upgrades can be problematic no matter what the device. How is it going for you?

Please provide a comment with your poll answer!!

2. Hotdognz

Hotdognz Member

I have changed my vote as I now have a new remote after my issues yesterday with my updated remote, turns out I had a bad potiometer

Happy to report the new firmware from Evolve is great, after a false start with a dicky potentiometer which caused me issues after the update, Jeff Anning the owner was quick to help me out last night when he saw my initial report and asked if I could bring the remote up to Evolve HQ for them to look at, after a trip up to Evolve HQ today the remote was swapped for a new one and I got to give the new firmware update a good test, I can report with a good solid 1 hr ride it is good and certainly seems like no band aid, it seems to me they have taken all the reports of drop out and problems and have had a good go at fixing these issues for us riders.

Having no reverse mode is great, I don't need to worry about accidentally hitting it as I step back through the modes, I can report I had no dropouts at all, this remote has now become something I don't think I need to worry about at all whist riding.

Big thanks to Jeff and his crew at Evolve for sorting me out today, I also got to meet Jeff too and he is a really nice guy, he had no issues spending some of his time explaining the new remote options to me and running through them.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Douggle

Douggle Member

I got my remote today with the latest firmware. I took it for a ride since there was a little time left in my lunch and was surprised to find out I was not able to "shift" during a coast anymore.. Well, it seemed that I could sometimes, but rarely and it would "shift" seemingly when it wanted to.
    I wrote an email to evolveskatebordsusa and expressed my concern. Mainly I just wanted to know how Evolve intends this update to work.
    I was told:
    "SAFE mode now does not allow you to switch sped modes while accelerating, rather you must let off the throttle in order for it to engage at all for safety. This means, as originally intended...you must be in the speed mode you would like to ride in before starting to accelerate."

The last statement troubled me because it sounds like I had to be at a DEAD stop. That can't be!
    Further testing tonight shows that it is possibly just a potentiometer issue like Hotdognz is referring to.
    There IS a work around of sorts.
    When I slow down to remove the throttle, it is generally not a "flick and remove" motion. I slowly bring to ZERO position and let my finger off. I'm guessing the potentiometer do not return to TRUE ZERO. And so you can't "shift" to another mode.
    A simple soft flip up on the break seems to get the remote in a zone where it will let you shift.

I'm not sure how the code is written. SHIFT LOCKOUT if potentiometer is > +1 ?
    That might be the issue. My guess is there needs to be better potentiometers that return to true ZERO or alter the code again to allow for a slight positive throttle.

Long and short:
    +New font
    +SafeMode (yet to have dropout issues. Unless I physically turn off board;))
    ~Flicking the break to shift is workable if that is how it is supposed to go.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
  4. h0ttz

h0ttz Member

I got my remote control updated with the new firmware on June 22, 2017.

I would like to share with you this video which shows my remote control does not work as I expected.

I contacted Evolve USA this morning to explain what's going on and see how we can fix it.

5. Douggle

Douggle Member

Try a little bit of break before trying to shift. I had the same problem. It seems the potentiometer does not return to the EXACT middle state and the new firmware does not allow switching modes if there is ANY throttle.

6. h0ttz

h0ttz Member

We can see the "potentionmeter" in the middle at 3min 14seconds on the video and the wheels still spinning.
    Even the joystick is in the standing position, in the middle, the wheels should be completely stopped. Maybe the problem could be the one you described.

Hmmm, I'm going to do this test later when I get home.

Thanks!

7. Hotdognz

Hotdognz Member

Exactly the same issue I had with mine, I had to get a new remote to fix it. I think the new firwear does not allow for any deadzone and it needs to be TDC to shift, I think this will cause some issues as more and more remotes are updated especially ones that are older and the potentionmeter are worn.

8. OP
    mestevie

mestevie Member

Hey thanks for the video and for sharing your experience. I hope that your remote issue can be resolved and you can get back to riding safely. Please post a follow up, if you can. Thanks again for sharing.

9. OP
    mestevie

mestevie Member

Thanks to all who are sharing experiences so far...

10. h0ttz

h0ttz Member

Thank you Douggle, the problem it is exactly that!!!! The "potentiometer" does not return to the exact middle state and I cannot switch the modes.

Thank you Hotdognz, that is exactly my issue! Thank you for share with us!

Yesterday I sent an email to Evolve USA, I'm still waiting for their response!!!! I'll let you know when my problem is solved.

@All: Thank you guys!

11. h0ttz

h0ttz Member

So, that is the answer from Evolve USA!

"Hi,

WE ARE VERY SORRY, THERE IS A GLITCH ON YOUR SOFTWARE REVISION THEN!

WE WOULD LIKE TO PAY TO GET THE REMOTE BACK TO HAVE THIS FIXED FOR YOU!

WE WILL SEND YOU A PREPAID SHIPPING LABEL SO YOU CAN SEND THE REMOTE BACK HERE AND WE WILL TAKE CARE OF IT AND GET IT RIGHT BACK TO YOU!

YOU WILL FIND THE UPS RETURN LABEL IN A SEPARATE EMAIL TO YOU BY THE END OF TODAY.

THANK YOU!

Evolve Skateboards USA"

;)

12. m3monkey

m3monkey Member

Let us know how it goes. :thumbsup:

13. Mr smith500

Mr smith500 Member

I have had no problems with my remote so I wasn't sure weather to upgrade the firmware , so i went to an evolve meet at cyclopark uk, where I was given the choice to upgrade, and now I am glad I did . Andy had trouble upgrading my remote so was given a new remote. The throttle/acceleration seems that bit smoother and it doesn't drop down to eco till 5%. I have lost reverse but hardly ever used it.No problems what so ever. Great customer service :thumbsup::punch::ok_hand::metal:

14. fizzgig

fizzgig Member

I've noticed that since the firmware upgrade not only do I have the problem with not being able to shift but now when I come to a stop, it doesn't totally stop. It slowly creeps forward unless I flick the brake a second time.

15. destructo8

destructo8 Member

I have 2 remotes because the original was giving me some issues. Decided to send back my old remote for the new upgrade with safe mode. A couple days after I got it back, I attempted to charge it for a second time since sending it out. This time it wouldn't charge. Decided to open it up and the charging port? thingy fell right out. So basically, the remote works fine (as it did before I sent it back) but can't charge it. If I hold the charging port to the remote in the right direction, in the right way, with all the stars aligned it will charge but I can't keep it in place. Any way to fix this?

remote chip.jpg

16. RogerRamjet

RogerRamjet Member

Well, I would also note fyi that my remote with old firmware has this 'no shift' issue as well. I have possibly given it a bump at some point?, as it was relatively smooth, now shifting up or down is problematic and a little erratic. As described, seems to require a touch of brake or even a full stop before engaging. So I would hazard an educated guess my potentiometer is also faulty.
    My question is how I best get this through to the Evolve team, my experience so far has not been hugely encouraging.
    They have suggested updating the firmware due to the quite serious dropout issues I have reported since day 1, but it seems rather pointless going through that post-return cycle only to have to send it back again.
    I love riding this board, but with the constant dropouts since out of the box and now, in the last few weeks, the unreliable shifting I am increasingly less confident this thing won't kill me or at least have me bail as it spits out onto the road under a car!
    I feel like one of those 'I bought a lemon' car buyers, with no recourse to a reliable repair. Very frustrating!