1. Bamboo Series

Join to the community in order to comment, like, post images, videos and create threads.

:)

Locking your board to a pole?

Discussion in 'Bamboo GT' started by GivesAMinute, Nov 12, 2016.

More threads by GivesAMinute
  1. GivesAMinute

GivesAMinute Member

Anyone got any tips for locking their board to a pole? I've got a bike lock (chain inside plastic tube style) but it just doesn't fit through the little hole behind the truck mounts... Even if it did I wouldn't think it's totally safe, but for a one-off lock to a pole while watching a sunset and having a home brew it would be pretty sweet I image? Thinking of drilling that hole out a little larger unless someone can think of a better option?

2. Andy

Andy Mod

Wouldn't rec, nearly any bike chain can get cut through would some big bolt cutters.:confused:

3. OP
    GivesAMinute

GivesAMinute Member

Yeah, but if I was in line of sight and instead of carrying it with me I would like to lock it up :)

4. Nickelberry

Nickelberry Member

Maybe bolt a little loop to the top of one of the trucks, then you could put a bike lock through that.

5. Nickelberry

Nickelberry Member

Like the image below but have it sized to use the truck bolts
    IMG_0987.JPG

6. jc2ef

jc2ef Member

--https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005YPKL5U

i ended up buying this mini u-lock to hook around the top truck mount. the main problem with this is how to carry it around while riding. some sort of mount underneath the board might work. otherwise, ill just have to carry it. :(

7. ace-tm

ace-tm Member

LOL, yes a great way to get it stolen. Unscrew the truck and the board is gone.

8. jc2ef

jc2ef Member

Obviously, someone committed can and will steal anything. It's to prevent the casual theft. Make it too much of a nuisance for them, so they move on to something else.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Nickelberry

Nickelberry Member

• Like Like x 1
  10. wiztecy

wiztecy Member

I honestly don't trust any lock at all. All locks can be compromised. But if I don't have any other option I use a motorcycle motion alarm in combination. This thing is a disc brake lock that when it detects vibration or motion, it sets off an ear piercing alarm that hurts your ears. People will bail before they try to disarm that thing. The owner has a key, it waits some seconds before the alarm goes off, enough time to disarm it properly with that special key:

[​IMG]

Xena Ultra High Security Lock Alarm | 930-172

• Like Like x 4
  11. jc2ef

jc2ef Member

FYI, this lock is actually too small. I think a longer lock might work better, but then it is more of a PITA to carry around. I have nothing for this yet. :(

12. Scott M

Scott M Member

I use this method, but as stated before if someone is going to steal it they will, no real way of being 100%

IMG_0214.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  13. LuckyCharms

LuckyCharms Member

I plan on using the Xena which I already use for my motorbike along with either a cable or U- lock. The alarm of the Xena is what will be most effective. An example of a situation in which I would use this setup is taking a dip at the lake while my board and gear are on the beach not too far away. It will never be too far or way and definitely not out of site.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Alex

Alex Admin

What part of the board could you attach one of the Xena motion detecting locks too? I imagine the deck would be too thick?

15. LuckyCharms

LuckyCharms Member

Not so much the deck but either the cable lock through it or the u-lock if it will fit. The Xena is very motion sensitive so just barely touching it will cause the alarm to trigger.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. DvP42

DvP42 Member

Motion-sensor alarm AND a cable lock - the alarm is the real security (but only in this scenario, as per the caveat below), and the cable lock is the visible deterrent to remove any excuse that someone might have for touching it (as in “I wasn’t stealing it, I just thought it was lost/abandoned and was turning it over to see if it had ID underneath” - oh yeah, and the cable lock didn’t give it away? Nice try, but you fail.)

Cable locks are completely useless on their own, on the level of completely unsecured. I thought my bike was secure with one while parked in a high-profile high-traffic area and cable-locked through both wheels and the bike rack, but it was still gone literally within 5 minutes of me leaving it there. One of the reasons I’m so keen to get a electric longboard is not just for how awesome they are, but for the fact that they can be secured in the best way possible - never actually leaving my presence when I’m out somewhere. Even line of sight wont save your board if all that is “securing” it is a cable lock.

17. jeskandarian

jeskandarian Member

Of course someone could just remove the front truck if they happen to have the right allen key with them but I'm not leaving it like this for very long.

IMG_4343.JPG

18. JDon

JDon Member

I use a 19in gun lock. They’re small and strong and cheap. Keep it right on your board while riding, works great!

0622301D-0B3D-4AB7-83DF-90BB2CF07A8F.jpeg

8742A77C-8151-4D7F-A06E-F1A8D79E966A.jpeg

AF20D575-BEFE-4304-8CF9-DB4B3B63D724.jpeg

56165BBB-1634-4774-819C-2559DE6377C8.jpeg

624DDAF4-BB9E-4985-B3F2-F06F5E6016C6.jpeg

881820B9-B249-4DF4-BC41-0EE98DD98D99.jpeg

• Like Like x 1