Join to the community in order to comment, like, post images, videos and create threads.

:)

New Feature! Member Map - Browse the globe for other electric skateboarders

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements & News' started by Alex, Oct 23, 2016.

More threads by Alex
  1. Alex

Alex Admin

upload_2016-10-23_11-5-35.png

Hey Everyone!

Following up from the member search last weekend, we now have member map!

I’d like to thank Florian from Facebook group who had the idea for this quite a while back and did a really great job populating and curating that map and the concept of being able to find fellow electric skateboard riders around the globe.

Taking that idea, iterating upon it and trying to take it to the next level, this one comes complete with marker pins linked to each user’s profile.

Clicking on any pin will bring up that persons member card.

upload_2016-10-23_11-7-44.png

This will make it much easier to find out who is near you, so you can direct message them, post on their wall, tag them in posts and invite them to your local events in the events section, no matter where in the world you’re based.

upload_2016-10-23_11-35-34.png

It’s also great if you’re travelling or taking a road trip and want to touch base with other riders at your destination.

You can access it from the Members navigation menu, or from a new node in the forum list.

upload_2016-10-23_11-9-3.png

upload_2016-10-23_11-9-38.png

Additionally each member profile now has a map tab.

upload_2016-10-23_11-10-52.png

Location Best Practice
    In order for the data to be useful on both the map and the user info section next to your posts, it helps to follow some best practice when editing your location.

Generally I’d advise writing it in the following format using the full words instead of abbreviations:

Town, State or County, Country

eg: Coventry, Warwickshire, United Kingdom

However if you live in a large city, such as London, Paris or New York, I recommend including the borough that you’re based in, or your general area zip code in addition to the city and country.

Borough, City, (State if applicable), Country

eg. Richmond, London, United Kingdom
    eg. Manhattan, New York, US
    eg. Varsity Lakes, QLD, 4227, Australia

The reason for this is that cities like those are so vast, two users could be technically in the same city but still be hours away from each other. Knowing the borough makes it much easier to find suitable and convenient riding routes and locations to meet for more impromptu rides.

Take New York for example, without the boroughs we end up with lots of users right in the middle.

upload_2016-10-23_11-13-15.png

For privacy reasons I do not recommend going any more detailed than borough though, such as street level.

Of course if you still only want to list your location as City, State & Country or State, Country or even just Country, that is still possible, I welcome you to choose whatever you’re most comfortable with. This will still help when I extend the mapping feature further to include some fun country stats.

How to update your location
    Your location should have already been set at registration, but if you’d like to edit it, you can do so on your personal details settings page.

upload_2016-10-23_11-16-35.png

upload_2016-10-23_11-32-51.png

I hope to add more features to the map in time.

If you have any suggestions or feedback, let me know below :)

User Map | Evolve Electric Skateboard Forums

(You need to be logged in to see user info)

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Jimbo

Jimbo Member

Top job Alex! Works great.

I've updated my profile with a more accurate location than just London.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  3. OP
    Alex

Alex Admin

Nice one, glad it's still working!

4. wiztecy

wiztecy Member

One thing to note, if your state has an abbreviation note that the search may not understand and link your country/state full name to the abbreviation when searched. Especially if that abbreviation does not align with the word. So you may have to put both in and see who may have been missed with the previous search query.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. OP
    Alex

Alex Admin

Yep, for the member search, that's correct.

It will do partial match searching, which can be handy for trying to broaden the search or with a search term like Ca, but it's not smart enough to know that Ca is short for California.

That's why I added a bit of extra info on this post about best practice for writing your location.

The great thing about this new map is you can browse straight to California and just look to see whose there. Everyone will show up as long as their location can be read by Google. In this case Google recognises both Ca and California so everyone will have a point on the map.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Andy

Andy Mod

Top top job mate!! Nice work!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. mgb

mgb Member

Nice one, great feature although struggles on iPhone

8. OP
    Alex

Alex Admin

Works grand on my iPhone 6S?

What phone, os and browser you on?

I might shrink the map window size for mobile though as it is a bit tall for some screens.

9. Axel

Axel Member

Works very well! Unfortunately I have noone to ride with, there isn't a single person from Czech Republic! What a pity.

10. OP
    Alex

Alex Admin

Look on the bright side, that means your the Number 1 Czechoslovakian rider here! :grinning:

• Like Like x 1
  11. mgb

mgb Member

All working on iPhone now! Safari strangeness!

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Axel

Axel Member

Yeah, I was thinking about that too! By the way, it's not Czechoslovakia, it's Czech Republic. Czechoslovakia split into Czech Republic and Slovakia 13 years ago. Also, there is one Slovakian rider out there.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. OP
    Alex

Alex Admin

Wohoo! I love debugging bugs like that o_O

Ahh, interesting! So what what do you call someone from the Czech Republic these days?

14. Axel

Axel Member

I think that would be "Czech". And for Slovakian people, "Slovak". As the country name split, the names for the people did too :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Kevsey D

Kevsey D Member

Really like this, great idea!

• Like Like x 1
  16. OP
    Alex

Alex Admin

Cheers dude, it's already starting to look better with the updated borough or town info people have been editing for locations around London. The pins are starting to spread out instead of just being a big mash of them around Leicester Square.

Will be neat to see how that progresses with other major cities.

upload_2016-10-24_13-37-46.png

17. F1KR3T

F1KR3T Member

Alex, you are killing it man. Great Job!

• Like Like x 1
  18. OP
    Alex

Alex Admin

Cheers mate, glad you like it :thumbsup::punch:

19. OP
    Alex

Alex Admin

We recently hit over 500 riders on the map!

upload_2017-1-19_12-27-11.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1