Join to the community in order to comment, like, post images, videos and create threads.

:)

Evolve GTX swap all electronics

Discussion in 'General Eskate Chat' started by shadbehnke, Jul 14, 2019.

More threads by shadbehnke
  1. shadbehnke

shadbehnke Member

I’ve searched everything I could but couldn’t find a definite answer…I know I know, stock evolve battery but that’s all I can afford with my electronics crapping out.

Basically my bms or controller took a crap on my gtx, bat error and no cell stats. So now instead of a battery upgrade I’m basically turning it into a DIY just to ride the rest of the year until winter and I can afford a battery.

So it sounds like my best option is a focbox unity or Flipsky, I’m just unsure of what BMS I can use with the stock gtx battery and I also need a remote if anyone can recommend.

Much appreciated

2. xrayturner

xrayturner Member

shadbennke

I am a little confused on what you are saying. It sounds like you think either the BMS or the ESC has gone bad in the board. You are basing that off of the “bat error” message. Couple of questions; have you reached out to evolve support? They have always been very helpful when I have a question. Also the Focbox Unity is around $300 which is a big chuck of what a new GTX battery pack (to include BMS) would cost. Why not just get the battery pack? I get that it is expensive and not the newer 18650 but without knowing which part is actually bad you are really just guessing. I would take the battery pack out and start testing it with a multi meter to see what you can find out. If you are thinking about putting a different BMS on the original pack you are unwrapping the pack and making it useless until you have it back together anyway. So to me step one is find out which part is bad (BMS vs ESC) and hopefully support can lead you in the correct direction. Sorry, hope things work out for you.

3. OP
    shadbehnke

shadbehnke Member

xrayturner I have not reached out to Evolve because either way they won't ship the electronics as its not deemed safe for normal people to do. The board works it just won't leave slow mode and from what I found most other people this leads to bad BMS. A battery is 500 and I can get an aftermarket ESC and BMS for that price then in the future if one were to go bad actually replace it, where if I fix the evolve I'll be stuck in the same boat, buy a whole battery for a BMS.

Hope that makes sense, plus I plan on upgrading the battery. I've disassembled everything and checked connections and everything is right something just isn't functioning, I don't know how to check which one it is? Put it back together I get bat error and all cells and recharge count are 0 but I can run the board in slow mode.

Basically I don't want to buy an Evolve battery and spend 500 on something that is sub-par

4. xrayturner

xrayturner Member

Ok cool got it. From previous posts on the battery error (I looked after responding) those seemed to be either the controller board or a loose connection to the power button. I hear you on spending the money, it just sounded like you were getting close to spending that much on the aftermarket pieces. Once you have those you still need to make it all fit in the case. I am sure it can be done; it would just take the money and time to do it. There are all kinds of posts online with people building eboards so content is out there if you want take out the evolve components and use the evolve battery but the evolve battery even new is only good for a few hundred cycles. After that the range is pretty bad. You can build a pack with 18650s but you need all of the supplies to spot weld and build the pack. Since cost is an issue I would still start with emailing support and detailing what you have tried. If the board is out of warranty, which it sounds like, the worst case is they don’t respond and the best case is they give you some pointers. Either way that’s free and you are no worse off. I would be really surprised if they didn’t respond. Slow mode would be maddening and I would just go back to my normal long board if that was the case. Whatever route you choose good luck and I hope it all works out.

5. Squaff

Squaff Member

Thats one of the down sides about evolve boards, they dont sell only the bms and they also have a new updated controller( esc ) that wont work with the old r2 as well. I wish evolve had a better way to deal with old models instead of just buy the newer model and trash you old board pretty much.
    Changing the bms and esc is a pretty smart thing to do but you going to need a new controller and if you really think about, its almost a full system upgrade. That once again you wont regret it. There is a remote controller that looks like the r2 you could check them out on esk8 forum , its water proof and has wireless charging as well. Price is about $170 , you could also find bms for really good price there. Hopes helps