1. Bamboo Series

Join to the community in order to comment, like, post images, videos and create threads.

:)

durability of the spray on grip tape?

Discussion in 'Bamboo GT' started by usfdrohead, Nov 8, 2016.

More threads by usfdrohead
  1. usfdrohead

usfdrohead Member

Hey guys,

Just got my Bamboo GT. Effing love this thing. My ONLY concern at the moment is the durability of the grip tape. I feel like its always all over the place. Maybe because its new its just the excess/loose grit coming off? I am worried how long its gonna last.

I also like to keep the grip tape clean so I use grip gum after long rides, but I fear its causing the tape to wear. Am I crazy? What are your thoughts on this grip tape? I know this board is relatively new so nobody has had it very long, but I am curious how it is for those of you who have have it since day 1 or so?

2. RiGo

RiGo Member

I think it's just the excess/loose stuff to coming off. Mine's been pretty good after the initial bits came off. Had it for about 10 weeks.

3. pokiebumwanke

pokiebumwanke Member

I thought it was crap! I sanded it all off and ordered some custom grip tape.

4. Alex

Alex Admin

I'm not sure about the bamboo, but I found my old carbon wasn't enjoying the good gumming I was giving it after dirty rides.

I don't think it helps around cut out areas for pattern and design. Having the cutouts inherintly reduces the areas of tack and resistance to shear rubbing.

I'm planning do sompletely redo mine with a nice solid layer for maximum grip and resistance to cleaning.

5. OP
    usfdrohead

usfdrohead Member

Have you seen this stuff before? I'm curious to give it a shot

Lucid Clear Spray Grip Tape

Also, to remove the spray on we currently have, do we literally just need to sand it off?

• Cool! Cool! x 2
  6. Alex

Alex Admin

Ohh, that looks pretty cool. Would also be interesting in if it's any good.

7. OP
    usfdrohead

usfdrohead Member

It's so cheap I may just try it. However I'm not positive it's a good long term solution. I really want to just remove this grip and put a permanent solution on, but I'm scared of messing the board up. I was looking my board and I would have to take most of it apart which scares me.

8. Alex

Alex Admin

Yeah, you could test it out on some scrap wood to begin with.

9. pokiebumwanke

pokiebumwanke Member

Yep and it only took about ten minutes.

20161109_141112[1].jpg

IMG_20161107_170856[1].jpg

The custom grip tape I ordered.

unnamed.jpg

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
    • Cool! Cool! x 4
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
  10. ace-tm

ace-tm Member

Yes, the spray on grip is garbage, DO NOT use grip gum, it pulls the grip off! Unless you want to cover up the design, you'll have to deal with the spray on.

11. Weston GT

Weston GT Member

I wrote to that company to ask about the use of their product on a smooth surface, such as carbon... they couldn't even be bothered to reply so no order for them....

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Sad Sad x 1
  12. OP
    usfdrohead

usfdrohead Member

There is another company called monster paint I think. They seem much smaller company may be worth reaching out to them!

• Like Like x 1
  13. ispooler

ispooler Member

I suggest you do this, the Bamboo looks amazing on this griptape design

• Cool! Cool! x 5
  14. Alex

Alex Admin

^ Looks great Alan! That your board?

15. ispooler

ispooler Member

Thanks Alex, it's looking like this right now with the spoiler and Abec 11 flywheels

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
  16. Alex

Alex Admin

Ahahahaha! :joy:

That's amazing!

Where on earth did you get that? I need one of those spoilers in my life.

17. ispooler

ispooler Member

Look for Integy on Amazon.com

• Like Like x 1
  18. Syclus

Syclus Member

How would we clean it then? :(

19. kevin

kevin Member

i clean my original grip with bleach, gets it clean af. after a while youll always have darkening, then reapply grip.

20. samjadelaide

samjadelaide Member

You can clean the BGT with Simple Green and anything similar to a chamois cloth. You can buy spray on grip when the original stuff starts of wear off. This is if you want to preserve the stock BGT design of course. If you don't, get sanding!