1. Bamboo Series

Join to the community in order to comment, like, post images, videos and create threads.

:)

Disappointed in range

Discussion in 'Bamboo GTX' started by deanproxy, Apr 1, 2019.

1. deanproxy

deanproxy Member

dean
    Boards Owned:
    Bamboo GTX
    Wheel Setup:
    Street
    Map
    I bought my board about 2 weeks ago and I've been pretty disappointed with the range I'm getting. I get 15 miles max cruising around my neighborhood, but there are some 5-15% grade hills around my place, so I decided to find a place that gave me consistent terrain to check my full capable range...

Today I got to ride a bike path. It is all flat and paved with asphalt and very well maintained. No cracks or rough patches anywhere. It has almost no elevation or hills at all. It was made over some old railroad pathways that were no longer used, so about as flat as you can get!

I rode 1/2 the ride on Fast mode and maintained a 12 mph speed. When the battery got down to half, I put it on Eco mode and maintained a 10-12 mph speed.

I got to 18.6 miles before the board shut off. What was weird about this was I had about 1/8th of the battery left (it was in the yellow) while riding and suddenly the board dropped to 0%, the remote vibrated and lost connection with the board.

I stopped, powered the board off and back on and the remote regained connection and the board showed it had a bit more than 1/4 battery left. So, I pushed myself up to speed and then started riding again. Battery got to 1/8 while cruising at 8-10 mph in Eco and held there for about 1/2 a mile and them suddenly went to 0%, the board shutdown, and I had to reset the board again.

This went on for about 2-3 miles. When I got back to my car, the battery was at 1/8th left after I stopped completely.

Each time the battery would drop from 1/8 left to 0 immediately. No hills or change in road consistency happened during this time. Speed was consistent. I was able to get 20 miles total range, but the last 3 or so were frustrating having to reset the board every half mile.

Temperature was 55F and I weighed 205 lbs with my helmet on. Again, very smooth asphalt paved trails with virtually no hills or elevation gain throughout.

Given I'm only 10 lbs heavier than the rider in one of the videos where they test the range between a Carbon and GTX, and I'm running the 97mm street wheels, it's a bit perplexing that he was able to get 19 miles without the board dying on him, while going up hills, on changing terrain, and on the All Terrain setup.

What gives? Can anyone give me some tips on how to get better range? I would like at least 25 miles or so when I'm riding on very smooth paths with no elevation changes. 18-19 miles seems a bit short given the consistency of this path I was on.... no?

• Like Like x 1
  2. xrayturner

xrayturner Member

Gary
    Boards Owned:
    Carbon GT
    Wheel Setup:
    Street & AT
    Wheel Size:
    7" AT, 76 abec, currently on 97 abecs
    Map
    deanproxy,

I hate to say it but I have never reached 25 never mind the 30 mile range evolve states the board can do. I weight 180lbs and recently replaced my older stock battery with a new stock battery. Even new I am lucky to get between 20 and 22 miles depending on hills, wind, outside temperature and how aggressive I ride. The main reason I purchased another stock battery from evolve was so I could ride the board while I tear apart the old pack using their BMS but better 18650 batteries to build a better pack. The only tips I have are: Don’t carve while using the remote, tack up hills (if you can) and don’t be aggressive with the remote. At this point I just work with the limitation of the battery and enjoy the board for what it is. That means 16 to 18 miles of pure don’t follow any range tips fun. If Evolve could do one thing to make their boards better it would be build a better battery pack! Enjoy.

3. OP
    deanproxy

deanproxy Member

dean
    Boards Owned:
    Bamboo GTX
    Wheel Setup:
    Street
    Map
    Given the terrain I was on (all flat and smooth) with no wind and a temp of 55F, I'd expect to at least get what their 195lb, All Terrain rider got. He was going up hills and carving too! I went straight the entire time with a slow speed. How on earth are they getting 19+ miles on All Terrain wheels with changing terrain, elevation and hills while I can't get to that number on flat, paved paths on the street kit?

4. xrayturner

xrayturner Member

Gary
    Boards Owned:
    Carbon GT
    Wheel Setup:
    Street & AT
    Wheel Size:
    Map
    I know, I see these videos and get miffed my board won't go that far. I can't believe temps in the 70s, 80s and 90s will help the battery that much when yesterday it was mid 50s here and I got only 16 good miles in before I was stuck in ECO mode. Sure the temps help and yesterday I did a lot of hills and it was pretty windy so there is that. I didn't yesterday but most days I take my fast charger with me just in case I need to add a little juice. I also keep a charger in my office if I use it to commute. Even though it has its limitation it is fun to ride and knowing what it can actually do verses what it should do has saved me from carrying the board. I know you can push it like a regular skateboard but my regular boards roll with no resistance at all and on flats I can carve to keep going never having to push. These boards aren’t fun to push.

5. OP
    deanproxy

deanproxy Member

dean
    Boards Owned:
    Bamboo GTX
    Wheel Setup:
    Street
    Map
    Yes! pushing this board is nothing like pushing a regular board. On the path I was on yesterday, I could give a few kicks on my normal board and coast a good ways before having to push again. On this board I could coast maybe 10 feet before I came to a complete standstill. haha!

Does your board drop from like 1/8 battery left to being "empty" immediately and cause the board to shut off? I would have been happy if I could have made it back on that 1/8th battery without the constant shutdowns and having to reset the board to get the remote to reconnect... Once it reconnects the battery is around 1/4 left...

6. xrayturner

xrayturner Member

Gary
    Boards Owned:
    Carbon GT
    Wheel Setup:
    Street & AT
    Wheel Size:
    Map
    I don't think I have every had the board shut down because of battery drain. When I had the R1 remote I had to shut it down for re-syncing every now and then but it never turned off on its own. That being said when the remote vibrates indicating it is going to drop me into ECO mode I start to think how I am going to get where I need to without killing the battery. Example, Yesterday at the end of my ride I still had a big hill to go up and I only had 2 yellow bars for battery. I decided it was just a fast to walk up that hill so I could make it the next mile or so without issue. When I got to the top the batteries had leveled out and I was back in the low green bars again and was able to make it that last mile in mostly FAST mode auto switching to ECO just at the end.

7. OP
    deanproxy

deanproxy Member

dean
    Boards Owned:
    Bamboo GTX
    Wheel Setup:
    Street
    Map
    So, yesterday I was riding and got down to a little more than half my battery left. I was at the end of my ride, so I figured I'd throw it in GT mode and see how fast I could make it to the end of my ride. No hills, nice smooth paved asphalt... nice and flat.

I get about 20 feet and the board dies. No vibrating remote, nothing. This causes the board to slow down abruptly, as I was accelerating. So I get thrown off the board and run it out. No bad fall.

I was under the assumption that the board wouldnt just die while accelerating, but the remote would buzz and you'd go into Eco mode when you release the trigger. My board just straight up dies.

I reset the board and let the remote reconnect and the battery is still at a little over half! I went no more than 20 feet and the battery died completely.

8. onmyone

onmyone Member

Paul Sexton
    Boards Owned:
    Bamboo One
    Wheel Setup:
    Street
    Map
    You lose a lot with 97 mm wheels.

9. xrayturner

xrayturner Member

Gary
    Boards Owned:
    Carbon GT
    Wheel Setup:
    Street & AT
    Wheel Size:
    Map
    deanproxy,

I think if you haven't already you should reach out to Evolve support and let them know what is going on. Better to get this checked out while it is still and warranty then wait. My board has never just shut down like that and it is two years old.

10. RjodEvolve3297

RjodEvolve3297 Member

Ross
    Boards Owned:
    Bamboo GTX
    Wheel Setup:
    Street
    Map
    I stay in Eco anytime theres semi flat terrain. Anytime I need to get up a hill even a minor hill I switch to fast, get up the hill and allow the board to coast down before I hit the throttle again. I never go into GT unless I need to cross traffic, move quickly, or just plainly having fun.

Secondly I keep both the wheels and the belt slightly looser, not to the point of the belt skipping on braking conditions, but loose.

I also changed out all the bearings in the wheels for red bonez and definitely felt a difference in rolling resistance. The speedballs they have in the wheels stock are absolute crap.

Currently experimenting with the racestar 200kv with the 12T high torque gear from board bumpers to see if I even need Fast to get up a hill, my general thinking is if I can add torque then I wont need to go into Fast, which roughly means more range.

Was able to get 17.4 miles back and for on one charge. So 34.8 ish in one single charge. It was 70 degrees, 62 % humidity, and a max wind gust of 5 mph that day.

• Like Like x 1