Join to the community in order to comment, like, post images, videos and create threads.

:)

Control board pinout

Discussion in 'DIY & Custom Built Boards' started by Stupidspencer, Aug 26, 2018.

More threads by Stupidspencer
  1. Stupidspencer

Stupidspencer Member

Hi everybody, this is my first post here.
    I recently bought some used electronic parts from an Evolve Carbon GT which I hope to use in a custom build. I got 2 control boards, 2 gen2 remotes with LCD screen, and 4 motors. All that for $50. Gotta love swap meets!
    What I need to know is:
    1) What is the pinout of the power switch connector (labeled "SWITCH") on the motor controller?
    2) Will the motor controller function without the UART data from the battery?

I don't have an Evolve board, or I would be able to figure this stuff out on my own. I know that the power switch has 3 leads: likely a common ground pin, power pin which is connected to ground momentarily to power on/off board, and a pin that provides positive voltage to the power LED in the switch. The connector has 5 pins with the last 2 being unused (I traced both to PCB pads that are unused). I just need to know which pin is which.
    I assume that the battery switch connector (labeled "BATSW") operates a relay in the battery to provide anti-spark functionality when turning on the board. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    I realize that if the UART is necessary for the controller to function, then I will need to get an evolve battery, or at least the BMS circuitry from one.

Thanks in advance...

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  2. OP
    Stupidspencer

Stupidspencer Member

Further testing has shown that my assumptions about the how the power switch and LED operate is either wrong, or I need the UART connected for normal function. I have tested all 4 motors by connecting them to a sensorless RC speed control, and confirmed that they work. I have confirmed that the hall sensors are good because I can connect the motors to the control board and the remote shows a speed when I spin them by hand. But I have not been able to get the motors to run when I pull the trigger.
    BTW, when I connect power to the control board, there is a green LED that flashes slowly. This happens on both control boards regardless of not having the power switch, battery switch, or UART connected. If I don't turn on the remote within a minute or two, the LED stops flashing. I assume this would be the controller turning itself off due to inactivity. If so, then the default state for the control board when power is connected is "ON". Without a power switch, the only way I'm able to get the green light back on is to disconnect and then reconnect power.
    But what I really need to know is; what does the control board do with the UART data? Even without it, the remote reports the voltage of the battery (or in my case for testing, the voltage of the DC power supply which is set to 40v).
    It would be great if someone who has an Evolve GT board could just unplug their UART connector and try to operate the board (on a bench, not ride it) noting anything that doesn't work as usual.

3. OP
    Stupidspencer

Stupidspencer Member

Bye everybody, this is my last post here. (That didn't last long!) Looks like nobody uses this forum. Movin on over to EsK8 forums.