Join to the community in order to comment, like, post images, videos and create threads.

:)

Broken Part Question

Discussion in 'General Chit Chat' started by EugeneEwing, Aug 17, 2018.

More threads by EugeneEwing
  1. EugeneEwing

EugeneEwing Member

Eugene Ewing
    Boards Owned:
    Bamboo GT
    Wheel Setup:
    Street
    Map
    Hey Gang,

I just came in from a ride & looked at my Bamboo Gt & saw the metal plate on the rear trucks between the motor is cracked. (See attached pic)

Basically do I need to buy an entire Rear Truck or is this a replaceable part? I'm only asking because when I went on the Evolve Shop it wasn't clear if this was even included if I purchased the rear truck setup.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EE

IMG_3303.JPG

2. fbhb

fbhb Member

Floyd
    Boards Owned:
    Carbon GT
    Wheel Setup:
    Street & AT
    Map
    Hey Eugene, you should be able to buy just the motor plate that is broken, directly from Evolve USA. The link to the motor plate is: Motor Plate - Gen3. It currently looks like the USA website shows them as "Sold Out", but you could try calling or emailing them to see when they will be back in stock. Failing that, the Australian website does have them available, but obviously, there will be extra shipping costs involved. The link to Evolve Australia is: GT Motor Plate. Hope this helps to get you back on your board again soon.

3. OP
    EugeneEwing

EugeneEwing Member

Eugene Ewing
    Boards Owned:
    Bamboo GT
    Wheel Setup:
    Street
    Map
    Nice Thank You.

4. Withered_Perception

Withered_Perception Member

Anthony Nern
    Boards Owned:
    Bamboo GT
    Wheel Setup:
    Street & AT
    Map
    I'm almost 1,000 miles in on my board and have cracked 2 of these. Found out my belt was a but to tight. With the torque being applied to the belt it only took a few miles to bend and or break the plate. When you get your new plate be careful to step enough slack in your belt. Also, your already having I'm assuming one shipped you might as well have a few extra on hand.

5. OP
    EugeneEwing

EugeneEwing Member

Eugene Ewing
    Boards Owned:
    Bamboo GT
    Wheel Setup:
    Street
    Map
    Yeah I’m grab a bunch once they get them back in stock.
    Good idea about the belt. But how does one do that, just get a different size belt? This will be my first time taking mine apart.
    So is there anything else I should be aware of as far as highly probable things that’ll break on the undercarriage? I’m assuming it’s a combination of belt tightness and hard carving that causes issues with the motor plate, but in my case the belt seems way more likely as my carving has been pretty regular turning.
    Thanks for the tip Withered_Perception!

6. Withered_Perception

Anthony Nern
    Boards Owned:
    Bamboo GT
    Wheel Setup:
    Street & AT
    Map
    To set your belt properly simply put your belt on as usually. Use your thumb to gently pull back on the motor until the belt is taught. Now use a 5mm allen wrench and hold it even with your belt. Using your fingers gently squeeze your belt. It should travel from one end of the 5mm allen wrench to the other on both sides of the drive sprocket.

Keep in mind this is gental pressure on the belt! You don't need much force at all. Before putting the belt covers back on make sure that both motors stop and start at the same time.

Make adjustments as needed, check and recheck the belt tension until both motors start and stop evenly and you have 5mm of deflection on your belts.

As for other things breaking all but one thing has been my fault. I blew a motor bearing and Evolve overnighted a new motor to me no questions asked and not a dime out of my pocket.

The only other things I have broken again that are my fault are 2 sets of motor mounts due to improper belt tension, one set of wheels which is a wear component but I also have a 5 mile section on my way home that might as well be a cheese greater (I was choosing not to avoid it) and lastly an R2 remote that I crashed hard on. Sent it in for service and Evolve charged me $50 for a new screen and had it back to me in a few days ready to go.

Clean your bearings on a regular and check that belt tension and screws here and there (I admit I rarely do any of these, but you honestly should) and you will be just fine!

7. OP
    EugeneEwing

EugeneEwing Member

Eugene Ewing
    Boards Owned:
    Bamboo GT
    Wheel Setup:
    Street
    Map
    Nice Thanks Withered_P! I very much appreciate the tips, I will take those steps when I’m putting on the fresh motor plate. I’ll do a complete tear down of the rear assembly bearings, belt, etc.
    I bought this deck gently used but I would put money on the snapped plate on belt tension, so all of the steps you outlined are probably very necessary so as to avoid any further broken parts.

8. OP
    EugeneEwing

EugeneEwing Member

Eugene Ewing
    Boards Owned:
    Bamboo GT
    Wheel Setup:
    Street
    Map
    Nice Thanks Withered_P! I very much appreciate the tips, I will take those steps when I’m putting on the fresh motor plate. I’ll do a complete tear down of the rear assembly bearings, belt, etc.
    I bought this deck gently used but I would put money on the snapped plate on belt tension, so all of the steps you outlined are probably very necessary so as to avoid any further broken parts.

9. Withered_Perception

Anthony Nern
    Boards Owned:
    Bamboo GT
    Wheel Setup:
    Street & AT
    Map
    If you have any more questions hit me up on this thread or on Instagram @Withered_Perception. Happy shredding!

10. OP
    EugeneEwing

EugeneEwing Member

Eugene Ewing
    Boards Owned:
    Bamboo GT
    Wheel Setup:
    Street
    Map
    Will Do. Thanks Mate.

11. OP
    EugeneEwing

EugeneEwing Member

Eugene Ewing
    Boards Owned:
    Bamboo GT
    Wheel Setup:
    Street
    Map
    One more question. When I am installing the new Mounting Plate does it require disconnecting the motor from the battery? Or is it cool to leave the motor connected while doing the operation?

ThankYou,

EE

12. Withered_Perception

Anthony Nern
    Boards Owned:
    Bamboo GT
    Wheel Setup:
    Street & AT
    Map
    Leave it connected. No point in doing more work for no reason.