Join to the community in order to comment, like, post images, videos and create threads.

:)

Bailing off the Board

Discussion in 'General Eskate Chat' started by Dwants2evolve, Feb 4, 2020.

More threads by Dwants2evolve
  1. Dwants2evolve

Dwants2evolve Member

Hey everyone, newbie here. Reading and researching. My question: if a rider is cruising along at 22mph and needs to stop suddenly, can they stop themselves from tumbling over, or can you prepare to jump off at slow your bodies momentum so as NOT to tumble? Any and all responses are welcome.

2. OP
    Dwants2evolve

Dwants2evolve Member

I should have reread the question first. At 22 mph, will I tumble, or can I catch myself if I need to stop suddenly at that speed?

3. RustyHooks

RustyHooks Member

I'm new also but from what I can gather, when you come off the throttle, it's like braking, the motorized wheels slow it down. This is my ASSUMPTION because Ibwas reading something and the guy came off the throttle too quickly and launched.

Theres at least a 50% chance I'm wrong though, total newb

4. David

David Member

Yes you can stop going fast. GT does it better than GTR. Shifting alot of weight to back leg is needed. But if you do fly off going to fast to run it out,make sure you tuck and roll. Ofcourse a helmet and gloves will help in these events .

• Like Like x 1
  5. xrayturner

xrayturner Member

Dwants2evolve,

IMHO - at 22 mph a lot of things can happen so making a split second decision can mean the difference between walking away or not. Yes you are going to tumble or slide and the gear you have on will mean the difference between serious road rash and general scraping, you may even break a bone or two. I highly recommend learning how to brake effectively and worst case sliding the board to a stop. These boards are a lot of fun but make sure you can really control the board. People will pull out in front of you with their cars, bikes or whatever they are operating, it will happen. Keep your head on a swivel and always try to anticipate what is happening 10, 20, 50 yards in front of you. If you are new to the board don’t speed to 22mph unless you know the area well. Now you can go as fast as you want but be cautious. Easing into the sport and backing off the throttle a bit can mean skating tomorrow or waiting 6 months for your bones to heal. Get a good helmet and gloves as someone else already stated and have fun. Skate on!

6. Andy117

Andy117 Member

As a total idiot. To anyone reading this knee pads and elbow pads are the coolest accessories ever. I went for a spped run after owning a bamboo gtr for about 1 hour without any pads. I now have a fractured tibia and probable ACL damage. If you're going at 20mph plus please wear pads I guarantee you don't want this much pain

7. Deckyon

Deckyon Member

at 22 mph, even the fastest humans will have trouble trying to match speed (they wont match that speed). Do the physics on this and it will scare you!

I did a panic brake when I saw some HUGE roots breaking up pavement on a path, and I basically turned into a human missile. Scrapes and bruises were the result, but they would have been a lot worse had I not had grass to dive towards just a few feet ahead. I'm 46, just over 100kgs (yep, big guy, but was 125 at xmas.) I am hoping that my 6 block commute will help with that.

Practice, practice, practice. And keep your head on a swivel. Assume everything is out to put you on the ground or under wheels.

1. Get a helmet
    2. Get good knee, elbow pads and good wrist/hand guards.
    3. Travel at a speed you feel comfortable falling at.
    4. Practice, travel, have fun.