1. Bamboo Series

Join to the community in order to comment, like, post images, videos and create threads.

:)

Anyone using Board Bumpers 12t High Torque motor gear?

Discussion in 'Bamboo GTX' started by alexdefreitas, Feb 11, 2019.

1. alexdefreitas

alexdefreitas Member

Alex
    Boards Owned:
    Bamboo GT, Bamboo GTX
    Wheel Setup:
    Street & AT
    Map
    Hey all, wondering if anyone is using the 12t high torque motor gear from boardbumpers. Can't seem to find anything anywhere when I search for it. Basically, I LOVE the ratio on my street setup a BGTwith 38t gear and 97mm wheels. On my other board BGTX with AT wheels, I find the motors struggling and I'm trying to get that same gear feel. Hoping 12t motor gear will help me get there. I want the motors to be working less hard in Fast mode. Fingers crossed....just wanted to hear any other's experience with this setup...how you set the R2 remote for accurate speed reading etc....

2. Lounger4035

Lounger4035 Member

Paul
    Boards Owned:
    Carbon GT, Carbon, Bamboo One
    Wheel Setup:
    Street & AT
    Map
    Hey there, I’ve recently changed my two Carbon GTs over to the 12teeth gears and absolutely love the extra torque. I think I’ve lost a little off the top speed but off the mark power and off road ability more than compensate.
    I also have a One limited edition that I’ve left as stock. That’s for my speed fix and the Carbon boards off road.
    I’m about 105kg so the extra torque really helps.
    One thing I had problems with was getting the original Evolve gear of the engine shaft.
    I ended up buying four new motors and getting them fitted with the 12teeth gear, way more than I thought I was going to spend but I’m totally happy.

3. xrayturner

xrayturner Member

Gary
    Boards Owned:
    Carbon GT
    Wheel Setup:
    Street & AT
    Wheel Size:
    7" AT, 76 abec, currently on 97 abecs
    Map
    Gentlemen – just a note about getting the gear off the shaft. If you try to take it off without heat you are more than likely to strip it. Heat the gear which breaks the bond of the Loctite. I used a standard heat gun for shrink wrapping. The correct allen wrench size is 1.5mm. I’ve replaced mine a couple times now with this method and it works well. Enjoy

4. RjodEvolve3297

RjodEvolve3297 Member

Ross
    Boards Owned:
    Bamboo GTX
    Wheel Setup:
    Street
    Map
    This is why I'm a little hesitant changing the gearing of my GTX....plus I'm a heavier rider (225) so it makes me hesitant because there is such little info about gearing changes. I currently can only hit 21, 22 mph (on GT mode) while that's fast, I want faster, however each time I think I'm going to buy it I see how it says it sacrifices acceleration/ torque, ECO for me is already weak due to the fact you can't get up a hill much less a mound lol. Can't imagine changing it to a 29 or a 23 T and having zero torque in Eco mode

5. OP
    alexdefreitas

alexdefreitas Member

Alex
    Boards Owned:
    Bamboo GT, Bamboo GTX
    Wheel Setup:
    Street & AT
    Map
    Just a little report back. I installed the 12t gears a while ago with the stock 7" evolve tires and stock 66t gearing. My top speed dropped dramatically, like, it felt not fast enough, and torque didn't feel 'that' much improved. I'm going to try add the 58t board bumpers wheel gear which by my calculations should bring speed up a little....(still slower than stock);..but hopefully with that lil bit of additional torque i"m looking for.....

6. MadeInHawaii

MadeInHawaii Member

Nick
    Boards Owned:
    Bamboo GT
    Wheel Setup:
    Street & AT
    Map
    I'm interested in swapping to the 12t gear as well.
    Any updates? I just ordered the 12t gearing. I'm about 210 pounds so I'm hoping it helps.

7. OP
    alexdefreitas

alexdefreitas Member

Alex
    Boards Owned:
    Bamboo GT, Bamboo GTX
    Wheel Setup:
    Street & AT
    Map

Ok, an update and some thoughts. With the 12t gear I felt like I lost WAY too much speed and it really isn’t feel any more ‘torquey’. My board had a collapsed battery cell which evolve replaced so that delayed my experimenting. Yesterday I installed the board bumpers 58t gear, along with the 12t motor gear. Bringing the theoretical top speed down from 39 to 35ish km/hr. I still don’t really feel any more torque compared to the stock setup. But at least my top speed isn’t too bad now so I’ll persevere a little and see how it feels after a few rides.

Basically, I am getting the WORST sag when I press the throttle in fast or gt even on the flats. I’m scared to use the board beyond 10km distance and it will just cut out when you need to accelerate up any incline at all. I was hoping the high torque gearing might solve that but so far it really isn’t any better than stock it seems

8. Nandox7

Nandox7 Member

Nando
    Boards Owned:
    Bamboo GTX
    Wheel Setup:
    All Terrain (AT)
    Map
    Hey, I'm also looking for mor torque. I really don't care about speed as I go mostly offroad.
    Using that 12T gear requires a new belt or the stock one will do?
    Thanks

9. RjodEvolve3297

RjodEvolve3297 Member

Ross
    Boards Owned:
    Bamboo GTX
    Wheel Setup:
    Street
    Map
    It requires new belts. Board bumpers offers a kit for the 12 T high torque motor gear that includes them.

In terms of the experience alex is feeling, I'm wondering if its because hes on AT tires. Those big tires need a lot of power to move in the first place, so any gearing would need to be a massive change of gearing for someone to feel a difference in AT. 15T to 12T may get you a little more torque but I truly doubt it would be anything really felt in AT

10. OP
    alexdefreitas

alexdefreitas Member

Alex
    Boards Owned:
    Bamboo GT, Bamboo GTX
    Wheel Setup:
    Street & AT
    Map
    So. Took it for a decent ride this morning. 38t board bumpers gear with 12t motor gear. I’m almost 100kg. In this setup I can get a top speed of 32km. BUT...my whole reason for wanting more torque was to reduce sag on the batteries. The lower gearing appears to do nothing at all to help in this regard.

When you climb hills in stock gearing the board just finds a sweet spot around half throttle and gets you up. With the lower gears you don’t get up any easier. It just has that sweet spot at a lower speed. Sag is pretty much instant for me. Even on the flats in fast mode. I managed 11km on varied slightly hilly terrain. Battery still has over 50% when resting. But even a 1km flat stretch in fast mode sags me down to eco. Basically, unless you’re purely going off-road and won’t miss the top speeds. I’m concluding that experimenting with gearing on AT doesn’t help at all. Going back to stock for good tomrrow :))

11. Nandox7

Nandox7 Member

Nando
    Boards Owned:
    Bamboo GTX
    Wheel Setup:
    All Terrain (AT)
    Map
    That is good to know and something to consider, thanks for sharing.

Brushless motors (like any motor I guess) have a optimal RPM range where they work optimally.
    Outside that the amp draw vs performance drops and in same cases drops quite a lot, so probably while giving the setup more
    torque it also is putting the motor out of that optimal RPM range.

I'm used to see this for RC motors with given propellers would be great to see the same for these motors but not sure with what
    load.