Join to the community in order to comment, like, post images, videos and create threads.

:)

Abec11 97mm vs Evolve 97mm

Discussion in 'Skate Equipment, Safety Gear & Spares' started by Murray, Jul 20, 2017.

More threads by Murray
  1. Murray

Murray Member

Hi all,

I pre-ordered a set of Abec11 97s in late May from Twelve Boards Store in Melbourne, and found out this week that they had forgotten to place my order. I'm told I'll get a refund, and I'm now trying to decide between the Abec11s and the new Evolve 97s.

Has anyone ridden both? And if so, which would you recommend?
    Also, it's probably a little early to be asking this, but do the Evolve 97s chunk as bad as the stock 83s?

2. Ghost1111

Ghost1111 Member

I got the 97 abecs over the evolves simply due to not wanting to give them anymore of my hard earned money for their lacking of hard work.

Does that help? lol.

3. Andy

Andy Mod

Evolve 97s are awesome!! Much better than my ABEC 97s due to the extra width, a dream to ride! :heart_eyes:

• Like Like x 2
  4. OP
    Murray

Murray Member

You're not alone in that sentiment. Unless there's a major change in their customer service philosophy, I wouldn't buy another board from Evolve. But credit where credit's due for the wheels (if indeed they're as good as I hear).

5. OP
    Murray

Murray Member

I had quite a lengthy exchange with a couple of their CS reps over international battery shipping and I found their willingness to leave questions unanswered, and at times entire emails unanswered, to be amateurish. I'm based in China, which I'm guessing spooked them given the copies that have popped up here in the past. But still, straight answers could have saved me a lot of time.

6. Skully

Skully Member

Are the evolve street wheels not flywheel clones? The only difference I've seen are the pictures of them coming apart from the forums here. Any idea if that might still be an issue, or how big of a difference the 107's and 97's have? Or, holy grail question I guess, if the 107's will be poured again anytime soon. . . kinda seems like they basically sold out and every now and then someone finds a set behind their storage rack somewhere.

If the widths are different, did they change the offset too? Might be nice if the Evolve wheels didn't need to go under the knife to clear the belt.

7. E-Boarding

E-Boarding Member

Looks they are the same chunky quality like the 83s, I think they are way overpriced/overhyped
    PSA: Do not buy Evolve 97mm wheels

I would go with ABEC11 (or ABEC11-Cobrandings for different colors)

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. OP
    Murray

Murray Member

The chunk stories keep coming and coming. :(

9. Yanzo

Yanzo Member

One of my wheels chunked after the first ride too :/ they look and feel great. I chucked them on my gen2. Can't hear the motor with the 97mm evolves on. All you hear is the tyre roar. Sounds epic. Just wished they were better quality.

• Like Like x 1
  10. mwhite67

mwhite67 Member

Do the Evolve 97s crumble really bad like the 83s do?

11. Wu Peng

Wu Peng Member

I do not know what kind of contact you have now,Battery and BMS problem solved?

12. OP
    Murray

Murray Member

Problem solved! :) I've PM'd you my wechat

13. jaromi15

jaromi15 Member

Abec 97 has a softer ride/feel... gives some kind of extra “cushion” :cool:

14. kcf

kcf Member

They may have fixed the problems with the Evolve 97s since these earlier posts, or maybe I just got a good set. My Evolve 97s have no damage after a lot of hard use. I've done a ton of drifting, sliding, and high speed riding.....no chips or excessive wear.

I'm currently running the Abec 11 97 78a wheels to give the harder compound a try. I love how they slide, haven't ridden them enough to really compare to the Evolve's too much. I have a set of the 75a's sitting my closet which I'll try and some point too.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  15. KTMman200

KTMman200 Member

A few of the evolve 97mm wheels that came with my bamboo gtx are not cylindrical, and when you look at them rolling you notice that they are wiggling back and forth I'm looking to just upgrade to the 107's when I can. Bigger is better when you ride San Francisco, and smoother.

16. Wu Peng

Wu Peng Member

Finally got you!